Here are 12 free vintage crochet snood patterns to try! The basic ones like the Perky Snood and Sweet Sue are pretty easy if you're already familiar with crochet. If you're not, crochet is easy to learn and there are loads of wonderful tutorials for each stitch on you tube. I love to curl up on the couch with a Netflix marathon and ball of yarn. These patterns call for vintage yarns, many of which are no longer made but any sport weight modern yarn should be a good start with a 5mm hook (a size up or down is okay, snoods are pretty forgiving!)
If you don't crochet, check out my shop, Tinsel Town Accessories for handmade snoods in every color of the rainbow!
Nothing beats a handmade snood! When I first became interested in vintage fashion, I found a shop at my local mall that sold snoods in every color imaginable for about $3. I was so excited, I bought the whole rainbow. They weren't the worst thing. They did the job of holding my hair back but I never realized how slinky and flat they looked until I compared them to a handmade snood. The cheap store bought ones required about a million pins to keep them from sliding off and since they were made of a weird nylon cord, they looked so flat and saggy in the back, instead of perky and full. Whether you invest money to buy one or time to make one, I think they're well worth it for a great snood!
Read this week's posts all about snoods
1940s Snood Inspiration
How to put on a snood
4 ways to wear a snood hair styling tutorials
If you have a little time, check out the other fantastic free vintage patterns posted on these websites!
1. Crochet snood with a bow via The Wartime Woman
2. Perky Snood 1942 via Victory Vintage Blog
3. 1945 Loop the Loop Snood
4. 1945 Two Color Snood
5. Beaded Snood via free vintage crochet
6. petal snood via free vintage crochet
7. Crochet Beret with attached snood from Donna's Crochet Designs
8. Sweet Sue Snood posted below
9. knitted snood from Subversive Femme
10. Bow Snood via free Vintage Crochet
11. headband snoods via free vintage crochet
12. zebra stripe snood via Zilredloh