Edith Head was a renowned costume designer for many of Hollywood's classic films. She won eight academy awards for her iconic work, more than any woman in the history of film costume design. While we love the actresses that wore these beautiful creations, Edith Head was the woman behind the dress.
"If it is a Paramount film, I probably designed it." -Edith Head
- Edith had very little experience in art or design when she applied to work as a costume sketch designer. She borrowed sketches from a fellow student to get the job.
- Edith wrote two books: How to Dress for Success and The Dress Doctor
- Throughout her career, Edith never changed her own personal style
- Edith worked on 1, 131 films throughout her career
- Edith was such a favorite of starlets of the 40's and 50's that Paramount studios had to lend her out at the request of actresses from other studios.
- Although Givenchy designed the famous dress worn by Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina, Edith Head got credit for it.
- Edith Head was the costume supervisor for Breakfast at Tiffany's
"You can lead a horse to water and you can even make it drink, but you can't make actresses wear what they don't want to wear."- Edith Head
|Sunset Boulevard and Rear Window|
|The Ten Commandments and Ball of Fire|
|Sex and the Single Girl and Roman Holiday|
Further ReadingElegance by Design: The Edith Head Collection (with lots of beautiful sketches)
Vintage Pattern Wiki Sewing Patterns by Edith Head
What is your favorite Edith Head movie?